Blue Sky Guesthouse is a guesthouse tucked into a small valley in the town of Hongu, close to the World Heritage Grand Shrine, Kumano Hongu Taisha.
The young owner, Naoya Yamamoto, always dreamed of owning his own guesthouse.
When he travelled to other countries he received gracious hospitality from many people. He now wants to give back into the karmic travellers’ cycle and create a place that welcomes visitors to fully experience the area.
Each room has its own bath and toilet. Visitors also have free access to the kitchen and internet.
For those walking the Kumano Kodo or looking for somewhere to stay for multiple nights, this accommodation is a popular choice. Families also find the Blue Sky Guesthouse convenient.
The Go To Travel Campaign is an initiative of the federal government of Japan to support the tourism industry which has been hard hit by the Covid-19 pandemic. When you book via the KUMANO TRAVEL Community Reservation System (managed by the The Tanabe City Kumano Tourism) we are receiving the financial support aid on behalf of you and relaying this funding onto the local service providers.
This Campaign in only for Japanese citizens or foreign residence of Japan.
IMPORTANT: Cancellation fees are applied as to the terms and conditions of booking based on the original price plan before the discount.
More information about the Go To Travel Campaign Please read this first before making a reservation request >>
Rating & Reviews
- Reception & Service
Blue Sky Guesthouse
Standard Bento-style Supper & Breakfast
Blue Sky Guesthouse
Kumano Taste Bento-style Supper & Breakfast
Blue Sky Guesthouse
Bed & Breakfast
Sanitation and Hygienic Measures
|Number of Rooms||4|
Ensuite bath: All rooms
Ensuite toilet: All rooms
|Bento-style meal available depending on the plan.|
|Western style, served in room from 6:30-8:00|
● Able to cater to vegetarians and/or guests with food allergies on request
Please let us know details of what you cannot eat in advance.
● Supper: Plans with bento-style meal from nearby restaurant available. (Must be requested in advance.)
There are restaurants nearby but they close early.
Please feel free to bring your own groceries to cook using the guest kitchen.
● Breakfast: Western style meal may change to Japanese style at accommodation convenience.
- Vegetarian Meals
: Included : Not Included
Type A Type B Type C Type D Type E
Vegetarianism is not common in the Japanese countryside. Please double-check the Vegetarian Type which the service provider can accommodate to make sure that it meets your needs. Often being able to eat trace amounts of the ubiquitous Katsuo Dashi (fish stock) makes it easier to find options.
NOTE: It is difficult and not culturally sensitive to change meal requests, or make new meal demands, onsite when you arrive at accommodations. Vegetarian types must be confirmed during the reservation process and respected during your visit.
Facilities & Services
- Free Wi-Fi (Guestroom)
- Public computer
- Credit Card
- AMERICAN EXPRESS
- Traveler's Cheques
- Not accepted
- ● Full kitchen facilities (Microwave oven・refrigerator・kitchenware・condiments）※Kitchen opens 15:00-21:00● Iron & Ironing board available● Free use of washing machine & detergent / Coin-dryer 300 yen● Yukata Japanese bathrobe rental 250 yen● Free coffee in the dining room
- Access Information
Busses run daily to Hongu from JR Kii-Tanabe Station, Shirahama, Shingu and Gojo.
● ~2 hours by bus from Kii-Tanabe Station (bus timetable 1)
● ~1 hour 10 minutes by bus from Shirahama (bus timetable 4)
● ~1 hour 20 minutes by bus from Shingu Station (bus timetable 5)
● ~4 hours by bus from Gojo (bus timetable 6)
● 1 minute walk from "Dainichigoe Noboriguchi ”大日越登り口" bus stop
● 7 minutes walk from "Hongu-Taisha-mae 本宮大社前" bus stop
● 10 minutes walk from Kumano Hongu Taisha
● 3 minutes walk from Oyunohara (former site of Kumano Hongu Taisha)
● 1 minute walk from entrance of the Dainichi-goe section of the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage route
- Shuttle Service
Free Parking for up to six vehicles.