Guesthouse Okagesan is a historic house in the Wataze Onsen area of Hongu about 10 minutes walk from Watarase Onsen. The house is the birthplace of Yamamoto Genpo, and important local figure. The building has all of the features of an authentic Japanese mountain home with an open, airy concept of pillar and beam construction. The floors are covered with tatami mats, and rooms divided by sliding fusuma doors. There is an irori hearth and in the kitchen is an old-fashioned kamado rice cooking stove built into the floor. Okagesan is run by the charismatic Mr. Shirai who has a contagious, booming laugh. He is originally from Tanabe, spent time in Tokyo and then moved to Hongu to open a Yakitori chicken skewer restaurant. This popular restaurant is near the guesthouse and is the check-in/check-out reception site for the guesthouse.
Go To Travel Campaign
The Go To Travel Campaign is an initiative of the federal government of Japan to support the tourism industry which has been hard hit by the Covid-19 pandemic. When you book via the KUMANO TRAVEL Community Reservation System (managed by the The Tanabe City Kumano Tourism) we are receiving the financial support aid on behalf of you and relaying this funding onto the local service providers.
This Campaign in only for Japanese citizens or foreign residence of Japan.
IMPORTANT: Cancellation fees are applied as to the terms and conditions of booking based on the original price plan before the discount.
More information about the Go To Travel Campaign Please read this first before making a reservation request >>
Rating & Reviews
- Reception & Service
Rental House, No Meals
Sanitation and Hygienic Measures
|Number of Rooms||1|
- The bath can be used anytime.But the owner highly recommends the nearby Watarase Onsen and their atmospheric outdoor hot spring baths.It is a 10 minute walk from the guesthouse to Watarase Onsen.
Facilities & Services
- Free Wi-Fi (Guestroom)
- Credit Card
- AMERICAN EXPRESS
- Traveler's Cheques
- Not accepted
- Japanese, but brilliant with his iphone google translate App!
- No pets allowed.Building is non-smoking.Free use of washing machine.● Rice Cooker● Stove● Microwave● Refrigerator● Toaster● BBQ set● Dishes & Cutlery
- Access Information
Busses run daily to Watarase Onsen from Kii-Tanabe Station, Shingu Station and Gojo.
● 1hr 35 min by bus from Kii-Tanabe Station (bus timetable 1)
● ~1 hour by bus from Shingu Station (bus timetable 3)
● ~4 hours by bus from Gojo (bus timetable 4)
● ~10 minutes by bus from Kumano Hongu Taisha (bus timetable 11)
● The nearest bus stop is "Watarase Onsen 渡瀬温泉"
From Watarase Onsen bus stop you need to walk down a staircase and across the suspension bridge.
Follow the road on the opposite side of the river and at the intersection is the Yakitori restaurant on the corner.
It is about a 10 minute walk from Watarase Onsen to the guesthouse.
- Shuttle Service
- Not available.
- Free for up to 5 vehicles.