Kodo-no-Mori is a lodging next to Takijiri-oji, the spiritual entrance to the sacred Kumano mountains and popular trailhead for multi-day treks on the Kumano Kodo.
The guestrooms are simple Japanese style, where futons are laid onto the floor for sleeping. The kitchen, bath and washing area are communal. There is an atmosphere of home-sharing as the owner (and cat) lives onsite.
There is a shop built into the house which is run by the same owner. The shop sells souvenirs including a selection of local sake and beer.
Homemade meals are served in the shop.
This accommodation also offers luggage shuttle services.
Please apply when walking Kumano Kodo.
※ Note for cat allergies: There is a cat in residence in the building.
Rating & Reviews
- Reception & Service
Supper, Breakfast & Lunch box
Supper & Breakfast
Sanitation and Hygienic Measures
|Number of Rooms||5|
- Use the bath anytime.The bath, toilet, kitchen and washing area is also used by the owner of the house.
But the bath can be privately used. Please take turns while respecting other guests.
|How to take a Japanese bath|
Complete Japanese bath guide.
|Meals served in dining room from 18:00~20:00. (Japanese style)|
|Meals served in dining room area from 7:00~9:00.|
Supper and breakfast served in shop.
- Vegetarian Meals
: Included : Not Included
Type A Type B Type C Type D Type E
Vegetarianism is not common in the Japanese countryside. Please double-check the Vegetarian Type which the service provider can accommodate to make sure that it meets your needs. Often being able to eat trace amounts of the ubiquitous Katsuo Dashi (fish stock) makes it easier to find options.
NOTE: It is difficult and not culturally sensitive to change meal requests, or make new meal demands, onsite when you arrive at accommodations. Vegetarian types must be confirmed during the reservation process and respected during your visit.
Facilities & Services
- Free Wi-Fi (Guestroom)
- Free Wi-Fi (Lobby)
- Credit Card
- Not accepted
- Traveler's Cheques
- Not accepted
- Mainly Japanese.
- ● Refrigerator● Microwave● Toaster
● Hot water pot
● Washing machine with detergent is available (500yen), but no dryer.
- ● Non-smoking facility. The smoking area is outside.
- Access Information
Next to Takijiri-oji. One-minute walk from Takijiri bus stop.
Busses run daily to Takijiri from Kii-Tanabe Station and Hongu.
● ~40 minutes by bus from Kii-Tanabe Station to Takijiri (bus timetable 1).
● ~1 hour 10 minutes by bus from Hongu to Takijiri (bus timetable 2).
● ~1-minute walk from "Takijiri 滝尻" bus stop.
● Takijiri-oji is the trail head of the Kumano Kodo.
More bus timetables.
- Shuttle Service
- Shuttle to/from Takahara on request.
NOTE: May not be available if the owner is busy.
- Free parking up to 3 cars.