Renovated School House
Shizen-no-Ie is an old junior high school that was beautifully renovated as a lodge.
It is located in the tiny community of Koguchi, halfway between Nachi and Hongu, thus making it an important overnight stop on the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage route. To the south is the Ogumotori-goe trail and to the north is the Kogumotori-goe trail.
It is also popular with fishermen, students, and families as a summer vacation spot. There is a small river and shrine next to the lodge. This is a great area to enjoy the peacefulness of an isolated mountain village.
Rating & Reviews
- Reception & Service
Supper & Breakfast
Supper, Breakfast & Lunch box
Supper & Lunch box
|Number of Rooms||11|
● Bath hours: 15:00 to 21:00.
● Only shower is available in the morning 5:30 to 7:30.
Please adjust temperature of the bath yourself.
Only taking a bath is available for 500yen.
NOTE: If there a small number of people staying at the accommodation, then only one bath will be prepared, and specific times will be set for Men and Women.
|Japanese style, served in dining room from 17:15 to 19:30|
|Mixed style, served in dining room from 6:30 to 8:00|
|Japanese style Bento box, pick up at check-out|
● Able to cater to vegetarians and/or guests with food allergies on request
Please let us know details of what you cannot eat in advance.
● LUNCHES: Are most often Japanese style, but can sometimes be Western style.
● Please let us know if you are leaving early in the morning so we can organize breakfast.
● Free hot tea, cold tea, and hot water service in the morning. If you have a water bottle or thermos please drop it off at the reception in the evening and we can fill it for you.
- Vegetarian Meals
: Included : Not Included
Type A Type B Type C Type D Type E
Vegetarianism is not common in the Japanese countryside. Please double-check the Vegetarian Type which the service provider can accommodate to make sure that it meets your needs. Often being able to eat trace amounts of the ubiquitous Katsuo Dashi (fish stock) makes it easier to find options.
NOTE: It is difficult and not culturally sensitive to change meal requests, or make new meal demands, onsite when you arrive at accommodations. Vegetarian types must be confirmed during the reservation process and respected during your visit.
Facilities & Services
- Free Wi-Fi (Lobby)
- Credit Card
- Not accepted
- Traveler's Cheques
- Not accepted
- Japanese only
- Lunch box
- Luggage storage
- ● No smoking in rooms.The smoking area is outside.
● Free use of washer and detergent● Drier 60 min /100 yen● Irori sitting room open until 22:00.
- Access Information
Busses run daily to Koguchi from Shingu Station. To and from Hongu by bus you must transfer at Kanmaru.
● ~ 1 hour by bus from Shingu Station (bus timetable 5)
● ~ to and from Hongu by bus (bus timetable 5)
More bus timetables >>
One day walk on the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage route. Ogumotori-goe from Nachi. Kogumotori-goe from Hongu.
● 5 min walk to Ogumotori-goe trail head
● 15 min walk to Kogumotori-goe trail head
※ If you are making a traverse walk from Hongu to Nachi along the Kumano Kodo, please take a copy of the above bus timetable with you just in case you are unable to complete the journey.
- Shuttle Service
Free parking available for up to 20 vehicles. No oversized vehicle parking.