Renovated School House
Shizen-no-Ie is an old junior high school that was beautifully renovated as a lodge. It is located in the tiny community of Koguchi, half-way between Nachi and Hongu, thus making it an important overnight stop on the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage route. To the south is the Ogumotori-goe trail and to the north is the Kogumotori-goe trail. It is also popular with fisherman, students, and families as a summer vacation spot. There is a small river and shrine next to the lodge. This is a great area to enjoy the peacefulness of an isolated mountain village.
398 Kaminagai, Kumanogawa-cho, Shingu City, Wakayama Prefecture, 647-1201
478 026 606*83
15:00 - 17:30
Rating & Reviews
- Reception & Service
- Supper & Breakfast
- Supper, Breakfast & Lunch box
|Number of Rooms||11|
Ensuite toilet: No
Shared Japanese and western style toilet: Yes
Irori sitting room open until 23:00.
Hairdryer in bath change room.
Free washing machine and detergent. Dryer 100 yen/ 60 min
Prepaid air-conditioning 100 yen/ 2 hours
Free WIFI in lobby
● Bath is open in evenings. Mornings, only shower is available.
Please adjust temperature of the bath yourself.
NOTE: If there a small number of people staying at the accommodation, then only one bath will be prepared, and specific times will be set for Men and Women.
|Meals served in dining room from 18:00 (Japanese style)|
|Meals served in dining room from 6:00 (Japanese style)|
● LUNCHES: Are most often Japanese style, but can sometimes be Western style.
● Please let us know if you are leaving early in the morning so we can organize breakfast.
● Free hot tea, cold tea, and hot water service in the morning. If you have a water bottle or thermos please drop it off at the reception in the evening and we can fill it for you.
- Vegetarian Meals
Type A B Meat No No Fish &
Yes No Eggs Yes Yes Dairy
Yes Yes Katsuo Dashi
Facilities & Services
- Wired LAN (Lobby)
- Free WIFI (Lobby)
- Credit Card
- Not accepted
- Traveler's Cheques
- Not accepted
- Japanese only
- Lunch box
- Luggage storage
- Access Information
Busses run daily to Koguchi from Shingu Station. To and from Hongu by bus you must transfer at Kanmaru.
● ~ 1 hour by bus from Shingu Station (bus timetable 5)
● ~ to and from Hongu by bus (bus timetable 5)
More bus timetables >>
One day walk on the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage route. Ogumotori-goe from Nachi. Kogumotori-goe from Hongu.
● 5 min walk to Ogumotori-goe trail head
● 15 min walk to Kogumotori-goe trail head
※ If you are making a traverse walk from Hongu to Nachi along the Kumano Kodo, please take a copy of the above bus timetable with you just in case you are unable to complete the journey.
- Shuttle Service
Free parking available for up to 20 vehicles. No oversized vehicle parking.