Ultimate Mountain Retreat
The ultimate mountain retreat in Japan! Tenku-no-Satoyama is a guesthouse in the ridge top settlement of Takahara along the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage route.
The house features a lofty ceiling with open, wood beams, and four bedrooms, kitchen, toilet, and bath. The views are spectacular: terraced rice paddies and mountain panoramas. Guests have been known to spend all day just watching the changing natural scenes, especially the mist as it flows amongst the peaks and in the valley below.
No meals are served, but there is a grocery store a 10 minute ride away in a nearby village to which the managers shuttle guests.
Tenku-no-Satoyama is geared towards those looking for an immersive, quiet stay in the mountains. Multiday stays are recommended.
It is a homestay-type experience as the owner stays overnight in one of the rooms.
NOTE: Closed from 20th December to 28th February, during winter season.
Rating & Reviews
- Reception & Service
|Number of Rooms||4|
Japanese style rooms: 3
Twin bed room: 1
● No meals provided. Free use of kitchen.
● Kitchen with Basic Utensils: Refrigerator, Micro wave, Toaster, Pot, Crock, Frying pan, Cutting board, Knife, Bowl, Chopsticks and Plates.
● Instant food products and snacks are available for purchase. Please drop money in the farebox.
● The nearby Kiri-no-Sato Takahara Lodge has a restaurant available for lunch and supper. But if the guestrooms are fully occupied supper is not available to outside guests. It is best to make reservations in advance for supper to make sure this is possible.
●“Shichirin” Japanese style BBQ set, including charcoal.
・500 yen per person.
・Flat rate 3,000 yen for 7 or more people.
Please pay directly to accommodation, cash only. Reservations needed in advance for the BBQ set. Please let us know when making your reservation request.
Facilities & Services
- Free Wi-Fi (Guestroom)
- Credit Card
- Not accepted
- Traveler's Cheques
- Not accepted
- Very basic English
- Luggage storage
- ● Free use of Laundry and washing detergent● The water is 100 % natural and clear spring water comes from the mountain. Sometime it becomes cloudy with heavy rains. Thank you for your understanding.
● Wood-burning stoves are not available.
- Access Information
Busses run daily to Kurisugawa from Kii-Tanabe Station and Hongu.
● ~40 minutes by bus from Kii-Tanabe Station to Kurisugawa (bus timetable 1).
● ~1 hour 10 minutes by bus from Hongu to Kurisugawa (bus timetable 2).
● ~30 minute walk from "Kurisugawa栗栖川" bus stop.
● ~2 hour walk from Takijiri-oji on the Kumano Kodo. Route guide >>
More bus timetables >>
- Shuttle Service
Available from Kurisugawa bus stop. (Depends on schedule of owner and may not be available in some situations)
Please write in the comments box if needed and exact time.
Up to 5 vehicles.