Ultimate Mountain Retreat
The ultimate mountain retreat in Japan! Tenku-no-Satoyama is a guesthouse in the ridge top settlement of Takahara along the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage route.
The house features a lofty ceiling with open, wood beams, and four bedrooms, kitchen, toilet, and bath. The views are spectacular: terraced rice paddies and mountain panoramas. Guests have been known to spend all day just watching the changing natural scenes, especially the mist as it flows amongst the peaks and in the valley below.
Tenku-no-Satoyama is geared towards those looking for an immersive, quiet stay in the mountains. Multiday stays are recommended.
It is a homestay-type experience as the owner stays overnight in one of the rooms.
■ Closed every Sunday.
Rating & Reviews
- Reception & Service
Supper ＆ Breakfast
|Number of Rooms||2|
|Japanese style 17:00-20:00|
|Bacon and eggs are available for breakfast in the refrigerator. Please feel free to cook them yourself. Bread will also be prepared (breakfast toast, rolls, or the like).|
● Kitchen available.
● Kitchen with Basic Utensils: Refrigerator, Micro wave, Toaster, Pot, Crock, Frying pan, Cutting board, Knife, Bowl, Chopsticks and Plates.
- Vegetarian Meals
: Included : Not Included
Type A Type B Type C Type D Type E
Vegetarianism is not common in the Japanese countryside. Please double-check the Vegetarian Type which the service provider can accommodate to make sure that it meets your needs. Often being able to eat trace amounts of the ubiquitous Katsuo Dashi (fish stock) makes it easier to find options.
NOTE: It is difficult and not culturally sensitive to change meal requests, or make new meal demands, onsite when you arrive at accommodations. Vegetarian types must be confirmed during the reservation process and respected during your visit.
Facilities & Services
- Free Wi-Fi (Guestroom)
- Credit Card
- Not accepted
- Traveler's Cheques
- Not accepted
- Very basic English
- Luggage storage
- ● Free use of Laundry and washing detergent● The water is 100 % natural and clear spring water comes from the mountain. Sometime it becomes cloudy with heavy rains. Thank you for your understanding.
● Wood-burning stoves and hearth are not available.
- Access Information
- Busses run daily to Kurisugawa from Kii-Tanabe Station and Hongu.
● ~40 minutes by bus from Kii-Tanabe Station to Kurisugawa (bus timetable 1).
● ~1 hour 10 minutes by bus from Hongu to Kurisugawa (bus timetable 2).
● ~30 minute walk from "Kurisugawa栗栖川" bus stop.
● ~2 hour walk from Takijiri-oji on the Kumano Kodo. Route guide >>
More bus timetables >>
- Shuttle Service
Available from Kurisugawa bus stop. (Depends on schedule of owner and may not be available in some situations)
Please write in the comments box if needed and exact time.
Up to 5 vehicles.